Are you thinking of investing in a microphone to take your recorded videos, music, or podcasts to the next level? When shopping for a microphone to use with your iPhone, you will naturally want to select a top quality product with all the features you want. But how do you choose the best microphones for iPhone? These seven choices come with reviews weighing the pros and cons of each option. With any luck, it will help you narrow down your choices and make a decision.
What is the best iPhone microphone?
How to choose a microphone for iPhone?
When choosing a microphone for your iPhone, think of these considerations.
Purpose- The type of microphone you want to use with your iPhone will ultimately depend on what you are using it for. Are you using a microphone to make YouTube videos or podcasts? Or are you planning on recording music? The reason you are buying a microphone will affect which one you will choose. Some microphones excel at one function but are sub-par at others.
Features and Environment- What environment will you be recording in? Will you be outside, in a large, spacious room, or in an area with a lot of background noise? You will probably want a windproof shield if you plan to be doing a lot of recording outside, and noise cancellation is a good feature to look for if background noise will be an issue.
Think about the ideal distance of the microphone from the source of the sound, and how that matches up with the way it connects to the camera and the length of the extension cord. There are a lot of features to consider when matching a microphone to your environment.
Personal or Professional- Is this microphone for a job or a fun hobby? How much money are you willing to spend on a microphone? If it is a professional investment, it might make sense to spend more on a higher quality model, but not so much if you just want something slightly better than your phone’s built-in microphone. You should ask yourself what level of quality you are seeking, and whether this purchase will be an investment.
Warranty and Return Policy- It is worth checking whether your microphone of choice comes with a warranty, whether that warranty can be extended, and what the return policy is. If you are investing a lot of money in a microphone, you want to be able to get it fixed or replaced if something goes wrong.
Unfortunately, some people order microphones only to have them not work upon arrival, and then find out that they missed the return window. Check the return window on a microphone before you buy it so that if it turns out to be unusable, you can return it on time and get your money back.
Accessories- When shopping for a microphone, look at what all it comes with. Does it come with everything you need? Or will you need to buy extra accessories, such as a cable to make it compatible with your device, or a tripod you need for your intended use? If you need to buy extra equipment, that changes how much you are spending in total, so check that before you buy as it would be frustrating to miscalculate.
7 Best microphones for iPhone reviewed
The Professional Grade Lavalier Lapel Microphone can plug into an iPhone and clip on to your shirt. Lavalier microphones by PowerDeWise have a noise canceling feature to make your sound quality sound professional. It comes with a carrying case and a 79” velcro wrapped extension cord that allows you to move around the room without unplugging your microphone.
Built to record sound in large rooms and even outdoors, this Lavalier microphone is compatible with all Apple devices. It can be used for video conferences, recording podcasts, YouTube interviews, ASMR, or GarageBand. The Lavalier Lapel microphone works well despite not using phantom power and does an excellent job filtering out background noise, even if you are recording outdoors. With its low price, it is a great as well as a versatile option for YouTube and more.
- The Lavalier Lapel clips onto your lapel for easy use
- It works great for anything from YouTube to GarageBand
- With a 3.5mm TRS jack, this microphone is designed to work with any Apple device – iPhone, iPod, iPad or Macbook
- It comes in a convenient set with a 78” cord and a deluxe protector case
- It only costs $22.22 on Amazon and works better than a lot of more expensive microphones
- Some people have found there to be too much interference to record properly
- A few individuals have found it to be dead upon arrival and not work
Summary: Although there have been a few complaints about this microphone not working, the vast majority of users are very pleased with the Lavalier Lapel microphone. With great quality at a great price, this is a good choice for a microphone.
The ELEGIANT Portable Condenser Microphone is a professional condenser microphone and gives quality vocal sound. It comes with a small folding tripod designed to go on your computer desk and has a 3.5mm audio cable that can plug into an iPhone or a desktop computer. The microphone head can rotate 360 degrees so you can get the best angle.
The ELEGIANT PC features noise cancellation that isolates the main sound source from background noise. It is specially designed for singing and chatting over the internet or Skype and can deliver studio-quality audio straight to your computer. This microphone requires a minimum of gear. It comes with a condenser microphone, 3.5mm audio cable, 3.5mm Headphone Mic adapter, tripod stand and user manual. All you need to do is plug the microphone into your phone or computer, turn it on, and start using your recording app of choice.
- This microphone is perfect for Skyping and online karaoke
- It works with any software and does not require any drivers
- The simple plug-and-play connection imparts superior audio quality
- It comes with noise cancellation
- The price is extremely affordable
- It has been reported to not work with the MacBook Air
- Some people have claimed that the sound quality is no better than just using the iPhone
Summary: The ELEGIANT PC Microphone is a good choice if you are looking for a basic, decent quality microphone for Skyping or gaming. It comes at a cheap price, though you may want a different microphone for recording music.
The Rode VIDEOMICRO CPK Videomic comes with a Rycote Lyre mount, a boom pole, a screw adapter, and an extension cable. It is a compact TRRS cardioid microphone designed to improve the audio quality of videos and is compatible with smartphones and iOS devices.
This microphone has a superior thermoplastic suspension structure that makes it more effective at minimizing unwanted vibrations and noise. It is designed to be plugged into a camera. The microphone body is made entirely of aluminum. The Rode VideoMicro is made in Australia. If you register your microphone, you can get a two year extended warranty on it.
- It comes with a Rycote Lyre shock mount that is virtually indestructible
- It has a furry windshield so you can record sound outdoors with minimal wind noise interfering
- Though it is designed to be used with a camera, a TRS to TRRS cable allows it to be used with a smartphone
- It does not require a battery
- It is a directional microphone that reduces peripheral sounds
- There have been multiple complaints of static
- It has been reported to not work with Facebook Live
Summary: The Rode VideoMicro is good quality for the price and is designed to be an improvement over a phone’s built-in microphone. If you just want a slight upgrade for better Snapchat videos, this might be the microphone for you.
4. BOYA BY-MM1
The BOYA BY-MM1 Video Microphone is universally compatible – it can work with DSLR cameras, camcorders, audio recorders, smartphones, tablets, and laptops. It is designed to work without batteries and is constructed out of aluminum for durability. It has an anti-shock mount and a furry windproof shield.
The BOYA BY-MM1 is a cardioid microphone designed to improve the sound quality of videos. It comes with both TRS and TRRS cables so it can be used on a wide variety of devices. It is compact and lightweight, with an easy plug-and-play design. This microphone may require the additional purchase of a tripod mount if you intend to use it for an iPhone. A U-Grip video handle is also available for it.
- It has very good quality for the price
- It is compatible with not only smartphones but also cameras and other audio devices
- It has a sturdy build
- It is light and compact, making it easy to carry around
- It comes with an anti-shock mount and a furry windproof shield, to help reduce unwanted background noise
- The mounting clip is easily broken
- The equipment is not as durable as that of the Rode VideoMicro
Summary: The BOYA BY-MM1 can be a great option, especially if you plan on mostly using your microphone indoors. If you want it to be compatible with a range of devices, this might be the microphone for you.
The MiC 96k is a USB microphone that can be used with iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Mac. It is a studio-quality cardioid condenser microphone that records in HD. Designed to record both vocals and acoustic instruments, it is made in the USA and comes with an Apogee 3-year premium service plan.
The Apogee MiC 96k is made to be portable as well as deliver studio quality recording. Containing a microphone, a microphone preamp, and an A/D converter, it is designed to have the highest quality signal and the lowest noise. If you buy the Apogee Assure plan, you will receive an extended warranty, live chat support, and free repairs. Apogee will pay for round trip shipping if your device needs a repair, and if the product fails twice, it will be replaced the third time.
- It comes with high-quality sound
- Software that comes with the mic will update to be compatible with the latest iOS updates
- It comes with a warranty
- Not only is it good for recording vocal music and acoustic instruments, but also works great for videos, interviews, and podcasts
- It is small and lightweight
- It doesn’t come with instructions on how to set it up with iOS devices
- It is reported to not work with iOS 11
Summary: Apogee MiC 96k has great sound quality in a light, compact package. The high quality and premium service plan make it a smart choice.
The Saramonic SmartMixer Recording Stereo Microphone System with Handheld Grip can be used with an iPhone 8, 8 plus, 7, or 7 plus. It is compact and lightweight, making it a good choice for filming videos on your phone. It also has one mini XLR input and two microphone/line inputs.
You can easily adjust the input level with its volume control knob and level meter, and this microphone also features a headphone monitor output, so you can monitor the playback signal. With two plug-in power condenser microphones, the Saramonic SmartMixer has a versatile operation and good audio quality. It includes a device holder and aluminum hand grip so you can easily hold it while using. It can also fit on a tripod.
- It has better audio quality than your smartphone
- This model is ideal for both home and professional use
- The Saramonic SmartMixer fits on a tripod
- It has excellent features at a really good price
- This microphone will help you take your audio to the next level
- It runs down batteries very fast, necessitating constantly replacing the batteries or using rechargeable batteries
- There have been complaints about it not working if you try to use more than one microphone at once
Summary: The Saramonic SmartMixer is a good choice for a first microphone, as it has great features at a good price. Consider it if you want to start a YouTube career or just take your video hobby to the next level.
The XIAOKOA Portable Mini Condenser Microphone is designed to be used with iPhone. It works great for recording vocals, instruments, podcasts, videos, and Skyping. It uses a large capacity lithium battery and does not need additional power. This microphone comes with a foldable tripod.
This is a Professional Condenser Microphone. It is easily set up with no drivers. It comes with both capacitive pickup and Echo sound reverb. The XIAOKOA Portable Mini Condenser Microphone is compatible with Windows and Mac computers as well as your iPhone. The setup is plug-and-play, and there is no need for external power.
- The battery charges itself when you plug it into another device
- It is multifunctional
- It comes with a headset as well as a tripod stand
- This microphone can record on two phones at once
- It is easy to use and comes at an affordable price
- It may be lower quality than a more expensive model
- There are no customer reviews as of yet, so the quality is hard to gauge
Summary: The XIAOKOA Portable Mini Condenser Microphone is a good, basic microphone that can be used with iPhone. The feature that makes it different from other microphones is the fact that it can record on two different phones at the same time. Additionally, the price is not bad, so if you like the two-phone feature, you may want this microphone.
The Final Words (Summary)
There are a lot of considerations that go into choosing a microphone to use with your iPhone. You have to think about the functionality and cost of each model and whether it meets your needs. Fortunately, if you know what to look for, it isn’t too hard. Hopefully, these models have given you ideas of what microphones are available, and the tips have given you an idea of what to look for. With any luck, you will be able to find the best microphone for iPhone.
Other Articles You Might Also Like-
- 7 Best mics for streaming in 2021 [Dynamic USB & xlr mic]
- 7 Best microphones for rapping in 2021 [For drake & stage use]
- 7 Best microphones for iPhone in 2021 [External wireless & wired]
- 7 Best microphones for live vocals in 2021 [wired & wireless]
- 7 Best YouTube microphones in 2021 [vlogging & steaming]